Minnesota Board of Accountancy

Regulation • Licensure • Enforcement • Public Service

Less than one month to renew!  

For Active & Inactive licensees: Use Online Services.
See Forms for Firms and for Exempt or Retired requests.

(Click on this message to close it.)


Stay on Target for 2023: Renew Today!

Renewals Now Open for ALL Licenses, Registrations and Permits

Renewals have opened for all licensees, registrants, and firms.

    • Inactive licensees renewing for 2023 must use Online Services. There is no paper renewal option.
    • Active licensees and Sole Proprietor firms that do not provide services that require peer review and that do not have non-CPA owners can renew using Online Services.
    • All CPA firms as well as those SP firms that do not meet the criteria above must use paper forms.
    • All RAPs and RAP firms must use paper forms.
    • If you wish to go Exempt or Retire or are seeking Reinstatement, see the separate (not Renewal) forms for those statuses/processes in the "Forms" section of the website.
  • If you wish to go Exempt or Retire, or are seeking Reactivation or Reinstatement, see the separate (not Renewal) forms for those statuses/processes in the "Forms" section of the website.

A reminder that if you have a CPE requirement (Active licensees licensed prior to July 1, 2021, and those seeking to change from Active to Inactive), you must complete and report CPE prior to renewal.

Firms: Two-thirds of all Minnesota-licensed owners must be renewed prior to submitting the firm renewal.

DO NOT ENTER CARRYBACK HOURS ONLINE. CPE entered online must be earned in the proper period. Falsely reporting CPE hours may result in disciplinary action (Minnesota Rule 1105.3000 E (2021)). See "CPE Reporting" for instructions on how to report carryback hours.

Etter Appointed to Board

Ann Etter, CPA photoOn June 22, Governor Walz appointed Ann Etter, CPA, to serve on the Board. Ms. Etter received her MBA in Accounting from University of St. Thomas She holds an MEd from University of New Hampshire and a BA in History from Carleton College. Ms. Etter worked for RSM McGladrey in Minneapolis before transitioning to Leota Goodney, CPA (now Goodney & Associates, PA) in Northfield, MN, where she has been a partner since 2012 and senior partner since 2020. She is also a Certified Financial Planner®. As head of a small firm, Ms. Etter oversees most areas, and specializes in personal income tax and non-profit organizations. She has a special interest in ex-pat and non-resident taxes. Ms. Etter is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the MN Society of CPAs, where she has been active in their media outreach program and is a recipient of the Outstanding Contributor Award for FY 2020-21.

Are You Certain That Your CPE Is on Target for Renewing This Fall?

Licensees can log in to Online Services and, should they choose, report their CPE for FY22, which ended June 30, 2022.

CPE reporting is not required until December 31 or when you renew (whichever is earlier). However, we encourage you to at least check that you have met the 3-year CPE requirements (FY20, 21, and 22) now so that you are ready to renew your license or change your license status in the fall.

Fees for late earning already began accruing in July. Take a minute to confirm your totals, as recorded by the Board, and make sure you don't have an unexpected bill that will only grow larger the longer you wait to address it.

If you find you are short CPE (even accounting for FY22 you have earned but not yet reported), take the needed courses, then send the certificates (carryback credits only) and appropriate fee (see CPE chart) to the Board office ASAP. Read more about how to report carryback hours in the "Reporting" section of the Board's Continuing Education webpage. You cannot report carryback hours online. Only hours earned in the correct period (July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022) can be reported online.

License Cards for Current CPA Licensees and SP Firms Now Available Through Online Services

The Board is no longer mailing license or permit cards upon renewal. Current Active and Inactive status licensees may instead log into Online Services and print a PDF version of their license card. Sole proprietors whose firm permit number is the same as their individual license number can also print a copy of their firm permit.

Log in to Online Services, then select the "License Card" tab (see image). If a card is available, you will see a "print" option. Note that if you have only just recently renewed or become licensed, the card may not be available (or may not show your new expiration date) for 3-5 business days.

When you select "print" a PDF is generated. Where the file saves or how it displays will depend upon the browser/browser settings you use. Lines on the 8 1/2 x 11 printout indicate where to cut to create the traditional oversized and wallet-sized cards.

No license/permit cards are available for CPA firms or RAPs/RAP firms. To verify your status and expiration, use Find a CPA (individuals) and Find a CPA Firm (CPA and RAP firms).

Late Renewal Instructions

All licenses and permits dated 12/31/2021 have expired. If you have not renewed, YOU NO LONGER HOLD A LICENSE AND CANNOT PRACTICE OR HOLD OUT AS A CPA. You must be in compliance with Minnesota rules and statutes to hold out or practice.

Use the appropriate PDF form available in the "Forms" section of the website. Complete and mail in with your check or money order. (Only Inactive status renewing as Inactive can still use Online Services.)

If you wish to go Exempt or Retire, or are seeking Reactivation or Reinstatement, see the separate (not Renewal) forms for those statuses/processes in the "Forms" section of the website.

All late renewals or status changes include a $50 delinquency fee.

Those earning and/or submitting CPE late also have CPE late fees. These accrue monthly, based on the postmarked date the Board receives your certificates of completion and fee. See the CPE chart below for details.

Beware of Email Phishing

The Minnesota Board has learned that a phishing message claiming to be from the Minnesota Board regarding "licensee fee changes" has been circulating. The Board sent no such message (and there are no fee increases). If received, follow the best practices at your firm for dealing with suspicious emails.

subscribe to email communications

Get notices by email!

If you haven't already signed up for the Board's email communications (The Ledger eNews), do it today. No fear of email clutter: The Board only emails when significant Board-related news occurs or deadlines relevant to your licensure approach—such as renewals.

Subscribe to The Ledger


Continuing Professional Education Reporting Fee Chart

Either the left or the right fee column for any given year will apply. If you are noncompliant in more than one year; you owe the applicable fee for each year.

Examples (rates valid only for December 2022):
• Failed to complete CPE on time for 2022 renewal: $175.
• Reported late for 2021 renewal but earned CPE in proper timeframe: $325.
• Failed to complete CPE in proper timeframe for both 2021 and 2022: $650.

Reported CPE late but earned the CPE during the proper timeframe, use these columns: Failed to complete CPE in proper timeframe (and so also did not report it on time), use these columns:
Failed to report CPE by*: Fee is: Submit: Failed to complete CPE by**: Fee is:
    Certificates of completion for only those hours earned after 6/30/2022 and required fees** 06/30/22 $175
12/31/21 $325 Certificates of completion for only those hours earned after 6/30/2021 and required fees** 06/30/21 $475
12/31/20 $625 Certificates of completion for only those hours earned after 9/30/20201and required fees** 06/30/20  $675
12/31/19 $925 Certificates of completion for only those hours earned after 6/30/2019 and required fees** 06/30/19 $1075

* If claiming exception from CPE reporting under MN Rule 3500.3.D, you must claim the exception by the reporting deadline or be subject to the same fees as those late reporting hours.

** If you completed CPE hours after the earning deadline(s), you must include copies of the certificates of completion for those hours.

Questions or comments? Get in touch:

Reach us using the following information. We encourage you to follow us on social media or visit the website often to stay up to date on information relevant to your licensure.